Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Water Resources
The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries is initiated to enrich the fields related to agriculture, livestock and fisheries. It aims mainly at building and developing the agriculture and fisheries fields by developing the technologies used in these fields and implementing new supporting projects. This increases the crop and animal production and insures its good level of quality. Also, the Ministry performance aims at providing a sustainable food security in the Sultanate. The Terms of reference of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries include:
- Policy development, plans and programs, use of agricultural and Livestock resources and aquatic organisms, implementation and evaluation to ensure its sustainability along with the associated resources and increase its contribution for the GDP.
- Preparation the Royal draft laws and decrees, issuance of ministerial regulations and laws regarding the management and use of agricultural, Livestock, fisheries, rangelands resources and the related services in order to develop and maintain the proper use in coordination with the concerned authorities.
- Investment development in agriculture, Livestock and fishery fields and related services in coordination with the concerned parties and encourage the private sector to establish projects that contribute in the development of agricultural, Livestock and fishery.
- Conduct the agricultural, livestock and fisheries research studies to develop, evaluate their positions and work to strengthen productive capacity, testing and technical studies, facilitate transferring technology in those areas, finding solutions to practical problems and assess the fish stocks.
- Prepare and implement the guidance and training programs for farmers, livestock owners and fishermen in order to transfer modern techniques, knowledge, improve their performance, raise the standard of living while preserving the heritage of knowledge and optimal use of resources.
- Development the field management of irrigation water ,set plans and programs to increase the efficiency of its use and yield, development of agricultural lands, protect them from desertification, drifting and work on their fertility sustainability.
- Protect agricultural wealth from pests and diseases and protect the associated resources from misuse, attrition and desertification.
- Protection the living aquatic wealth from misuse including identification of tools, equipment and devices permitted for the use of fishing purposes.
- Developing, encouraging and improving the aquaculture and providing the needed facilities to ensure its validity and sustainability.
- Preparing and implementing programs, plans and regulations regarding the quality safety of agricultural products, livestock and aquatic resources to ensure the validity and solidity.
- Management the agricultural and fisheries marketing develop and put controls organized in coordination with the concerned authorities.
- Establishing, developing, managing fishing ports with providing all services to ensure good use of them.
- Developing relations in the field of agriculture, water resources and livestock between the Sultanate and other countries, activating cooperation with bodies, specialized organizations and institutions, participate in regional and international conferences; represent the Sultanate in the negotiations and agreements related to the functions of the ministry.
- Human resource development in the ministry in order to achieve the goals.
The Ministry focuses on the protection of agriculture, livestock and fisheries development and related resources and work on sustainability to be one of the important tributaries of the national economy.
Preservation of agriculture, livestock, soil and water resources and pastures, conduct related researches, dissemination of awareness and modern technologies between the target groups, development of fisheries and work on its sustain ability.
The Ministry concentrates on the policy development, plans and strategies to achieve the goals set.